New Year's Resolutions I've Already Broken

1. Be Healthy This one is really unique (!). Let’s face it, most of us probably have some intention of being healthier, becom...

1. Be Healthy

This one is really unique (!). Let’s face it, most of us probably have some intention of being healthier, becoming more fit, eating more vegetables (yuck), eating fewer pizzas (yum), etc. Unfortunately, as evidenced by the fact that I am currently eating my way through a tin of cookies, and indulged in a greasy hangover-curing breakfast, I’ve already failed at this one. 

2. Drink More Water


I really struggle with this one. I don’t know why, but I really hate drinking water. The only reason I haven’t passed out from dehydration (recently) is the obscene quantity of tea that I consume regularly. However, I do notice a major difference in my skin and overall health when I make a point to drink actual water.  This one is cheating a little bit, because I’ve not completely failed at drinking water, but that can be attributed solely to the hangover I’ve spent all day trying to cure.

3. Cut Back on Sugar Intake

Yes, this needs to be a category separate from #1 as my chocolate love and general addiction to sugar is a real and serious problem for me (and maybe for the world).  You can, however, refer back to number 1 for evidence of this particular failure.

4. Consistently Write High Quality Content for Fringe Musings

Based on how this current post is going, I don’t think I need to explain how I’ve not managed to succeed with this resolution thus far.

5. Rediscover Reading
Up until I started grad school I always had my nose stuck in a book. For some reason (perhaps the soul-crushing stress of graduate school?) I’ve lost the desire to read as consistently since starting my PhD, and I hate it. I’ve noticed that whenever I do have time off I rediscover my reading obsession, but I certainly find it easier to binge-watch TV after a long day rather than read a good book. In 2016 I want to make a conscious effort to change this, and get back to a pastime that has been an important part of the majority of my life. All that being said, I haven’t read anything today…but the day isn’t over, so I won’t say I’ve completely failed at this resolution yet.

In the end, we are only one day into 2016, and one day won’t make or break any resolution (unless your resolution is to do something every single day in 2016, but why would anyone ever make such a resolution…).  

Bonus: I have also resolved to spend less money in 2016, which I have achieved by not having the strength to leave the house today. So there’s that, I can accomplish something after all!

You Might Also Like

0 comments